1/28 Photos of Southern Fried Chicken (Look out KFC!) (Paula Deen)
Thanks Paula Deen (FoodTV) for the best fried chicken I have ever made! It has a nice, savory flavor and a coating that has just the right amount of crispiness. It was a good thing I had an extra cut-up chicken in the refrigerator because my family was begging for it again the next day. Although it calls for what seems like a lot of hot pepper sauce, it isn't any spicier than Jack-In-the Box's Spicy Crispy Chicken--you can take it!! FYI I made this using 10 pounds of wings--enough of the hot sauce/egg mixture to cover, but you will need to double flour mixture if you want to do this much. I'm not saying it tastes like KFC--only that you won't be doing business with them anymore.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs cut-up chicken
- 1Heat peanut oil in a large deep pot to 350°F (do not fill more than half full--you don't want a hot-oil spill-over accident!).
- 2For sauce mixture: in a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs with the water.
- 3Add hot sauce and whisk together well.
- 4Pour this mixture into a large plastic zip-top bag.
- 5For seasoning mixture: In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 6For dredging mixture: In a another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 7Rinse and pat dry chicken pieces with a paper towel.
- 8Cut breast pieces in half across ribs.
- 9Sprinkle chicken generously on both sides with seasoning blend.
- 10Drop a few chicken pieces of chicken into bag of sauce mixture and squish around to coat thoroughly.
- 11One piece at a time, roll chicken in flour mixture and drop into hot oil.
- 12Don't crowd chicken pieces--I cook about half the chicken at a time.
- 13Fry chicken until brown and crisp.
- 14Drain on paper toweling.
- 15Dark meat will take about 14 minutes, white meat about 10 minutes.
- 16Remember smaller pieces cook faster than the larger ones.
- 17You can check for doneness by piercing to the bone in the thickest part with a fork.
- 18If the juices run clear, it is done.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southern Fried Chicken (Look out KFC!) (Paula Deen)
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 797.0
- Calories from Fat 357
- Total Fat 39.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 356.1 mg
- Sodium 3012.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 55.3 g