I prefer to use the dried beef from a local deli - ask to have it paper-thin sliced or chipped. I serve this over toasted wheat bread for my DH but it is also good served over a oven-baked russet potato. I found this recipe in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.
- Separate the slices of beef and set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over a medium high heat.
- When the butter foams, sprinkle in the flour and whisk (yes use a whisk it works better) in the flour until very well blended.
- Add the hot milk and cook over low heat, stirring very often with the whisk.
- Slowly add the cream, continuing to stir constantly until the cream sauce is thickened (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the pepper and the dried beef and using a spoon mix well until heated through.
- Serve over crisply toasted bread or hot baked potato.