Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
For all you "raw foodists" out there -- here's apple pie without cooking! I got this from a friend and have never tried it myself, but I'm sure it's good.
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 cup raisins
- 5 apples, peeled and cored
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup dry coconut powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 lemon, juice of
- unsweetened flaked coconut
- Soak raisins in distilled water.
- Using food processor, combine crust ingredients; press into pie pan.
- Place all filling ingredients (including water and raisins) into food processor, and pulse until a medium coarseness is achieved.
- Place filling into pie crust, sprinkle with coconut if desired, chill and serve.
This is my first attempt at "raw (un)cooking." I made about a quarter recipe and assembled it in a bowl. I didn't peal the apples, I used dried currants instead of raisins, and I added a little more flax (following a previous comment). Well, it just kind of crumbled apart, but it tasted delicious! A little crunchier, but similar in taste to baked apple pie. I'm just glad that it was easy, quick, and it tastes fresh and light. Thanks!
First off I want to say that this crust is definitley 5 stars! It held together nicely and the sweet nutty flavor is perfect with the apples. The apple filling tasted great, though it didn't hold together at all for me. Maybe a bit more flax seed would have helped it stay together? The taste was very similar to regular pie, but with a little crunch. I did notice that after a couple days the crust soaked up some moisture and didn't have quite the same texture, though it still tasted fine. Thanks for a healthy and yummy dessert I can feel good about eating, Messy Cook!