Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Got this online from King Arthur Flour and described as: Stir up the batter for this easy yeast bread, scoop it into a 9" x 13" pan, and bake up a moist, golden flatbread, studded with melting cheese and chopped garlic. Serve it fresh; or let it rest overnight, then cut into strips and crisp in the oven, to make delightfully crunchy appetizer bread sticks. Prep time does not include rising
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, lukewarm
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (plus additional for drizzling into the pan)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
Filling and Topping
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- pizza seasoning or your favorite dried herbs, to sprinkle on top
- Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan, and drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the cheese and garlic, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds.
- Add the cheese and garlic, beating gently just to combine.
- Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 60 minutes, till it's become puffy.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375°F
- Sprinkle the dough with pizza seasoning, and/or the dried herbs of your choice, if desired.
- Bake the bread till it's golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- To make crunchy bread sticks: Cut day-old bread into 1/2" slices. Lay the slices on an ungreased baking sheet, and bake them in a preheated 350°F to 400°F oven till they're a light golden brown and crunchy, 15 to 25 minutes or so; keep your eye on them, as they brown quickly towards the end.