Prep 2 hrs
Cook 3 mins
Delicious sweet and creamy dip especially good with tart apples. So easy to make with just 3 ingredients. Don't expect this to taste exactly like caramel, but it's a pretty good substitution.
- 6 dates, soaked in water for at least an hour
- 2 -3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon honey (I used raw honey)
- Put all ingredients in a small blender or mini chopper and whiz till smooth.
- You may want to add just a bit of water to help get things moving, but try to keep it a dipping consistency unless you will use it drizzled on fruit or a dessert.
- Taste, then adjust to your liking. I don't like it too sweet so will usually add more almond butter but you can sweeten even more with extra dates or honey.
- Store in the frig.
I make this all the time. I usually use Iraqi date syrup by itself with any nut butter or good organic tahini. I like Nut's to You Nut Butter brand as they have lots of choices. I used almond hazelnut butter from Nut's to You, date syrup to be easier as I had it on hand and local raw honey. Dipped granny smith apple slices in it. Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game 2013.
Wow! This was really good! I used Almond Butter - Dairy Free and did have to use some of the soaking water to get my processor going. My processor is kind of wimpy, so the dip didn't end up looking very nice, but it sure tasted great! Maybe making the almond butter first contributed to the feeling that this recipe was a lot of work for such a small amount of food, but I think the real answer to that is to triple or more the recipe. Delicious! Thank you! Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC tag game.
Yummy :)...will definitely be using this a lot here on out for raw cakes, pies & cookies...made my own nut butter which was a bit dry so added some agave in addition to H2O and super thick local raw honey...really yumm with my apple and carrot snack -and super saved a raw pudding I made...a new go to... when in doubt; add dates, is my motto :)_Thanks for sharing :)