Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from "The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook".
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 teaspoon wet mustard
- Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan.
- Whisk in water.
- Cook over med. heat, whisking until it thicken and bubbles.
- Cook 30 seconds, then remove from heat.
- Whip in Margarine and mustard.
- It will thicken as it cools. but will thin when heated or when water is added.
- Variation for richer, stretchier sauce that's good on pizza:.
- Substitute 1/4°C Cornstarch and 2 tablespoons flour.
- Instead of margarine, whip in 1/2°C of oil after it cooks.
- Add as much as 1°C water at the end or as needed to make a thick, smooth sauce that pours easily.
- Pour it on pizza for the last few mins of baking.
- Put under broiler for a few mins to form a stretchy, golden-brown speckled skin.
SPOT ON!!! DH said this was worthy of 10 stars :D We have been fighting the hard battle trying to find a decent vegan cheese and the fight stops here. Now we only need to experiment to take this into different directions - mexican flavor, mac & cheese, the pizza alternative you mentioned...etc - however this is perfectly fine on its own. Simple ingredients, easy prep, great consistency & flavor - DH is very pleased!!! Thank you so many many times!!!!!
sorry, i did not like the taste of this at all. I was so excited because of the great reviews, but was very disappointed.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just made this tonight and it was so very yummy. I gave up meat/dairy 3 months ago and have been very happy...but I used to looove me some mac & cheese. This really hit the spot. I'm pretty sure I'll keep some of this in my fridge on a regular basis. Oh, and I registered on this website just to say thanks for your recipe!