Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A really good side dish to serve with an Easter ham. I was skeptical about the parsnips until I tried it.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped (or green onion tops)
- Combine sweet potatoes and parsnips in large saucepan. Cover with cold water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain vegetables; return to pan. Add milk, butter, salt and nutmeg. Mash potato mixture to desired consistency over low heat. Stir in chives.
I tried this for a pot luck I attended. I followed the recipe and it was a total hit! Delicious- especially with the hint of nutmeg.