Recipe by Nana Lee
Found this in the latest Kraft Food & Family magazine. Couldn't resist it b/c of the pineapple/coconut combo! Pina Colada, here I come! I will be adding some rum flavoring to both the cake and the topping along with coconut flavoring; and will also make this in a disposable foil pan for convenience.
Top Review by SavvyL
This is a very flavorful, easy cake to make. I love that it bakes so quickly because of the use of the 15x10x1" pan. Like the other reviewer, I did not use the rum or coconut extracts, but did add coconut and pecans. I think those are a must! I plan to use this "formula" for this cake and make other kinds, like chocolate with chocolate pudding, cherries and whipped cream for a twist on blackforest cake. Many possibilities!
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 (17 -18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold milk
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package lemon flavor instant pudding and pie filling
- 2 cups thawed whipped topping
- 2 teaspoons rum extract, divided (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut, toasted (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 350ºF.
- Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 cup of the juice; set pineapple aside.
- Prepare cake batter as directed on package, substituting 1 cup reserved juice for 1 cup of the water, and 1 tsp rum extract (if desired).
- Pour batter into baking pan.
- BAKE 15 to 18 minute or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- ADD milk to dry pudding mix and beat with wire whisk 2 minute or until well blended.
- Stir in pineapple and remaining 1 tsp rum extract (if desired) and spread over cake.
- Cover this with whipped topping into which you have stirred coconut extract(if desired).
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut and pecans (if desired).
- Store in refrigerator.