Recipe by Sharon123
This is amazingly simple to make, using just 3 ingredients! And it only takes about 20 minutes to make!!! More delicate than storebought and only 1/2 the price. Use this fluffy cheese for lasagna, cannoli, or simple crostini(with a drizzle of eevo or topped with chopped fresh herbs). There's even a reduced fat version! I found this in the May issue of Good Housekeeping magazine.
Top Review by djmastermum
This is amazing, and way better than anything u can buy in the shops. It is so creamy. I wish it had of made more. I made the full cream version, just to be sure that I keep my womanly figure lol
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a large strainer or colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth. Place lined strainer in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom 4 quart saucepan, heat milk and 1 teaspoons salt to boiling on medium high, stirring occasionally to prevent milk from scorching.
- Stir in lemon juice; cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, gently transfer curds from the pan to the lined strainer. Drain 3 minutes. Discard whey in bowl.
- If not using right away, transfer ricotta to a clean bowl, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Reduced Fat Ricotta:.
- Substitute 4 cups reduced fat milk(2%) for 4 cups of the whole milk, and follow recipe as above.
- Makes about 2 cups.