Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is amazingly simple to make, using just 3 ingredients! And it only takes about 20 minutes to make!!! More delicate than storebought and only 1/2 the price. Use this fluffy cheese for lasagna, cannoli, or simple crostini(with a drizzle of eevo or topped with chopped fresh herbs). There's even a reduced fat version! I found this in the May issue of Good Housekeeping magazine.
- Line a large strainer or colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth. Place lined strainer in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom 4 quart saucepan, heat milk and 1 teaspoons salt to boiling on medium high, stirring occasionally to prevent milk from scorching.
- Stir in lemon juice; cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, gently transfer curds from the pan to the lined strainer. Drain 3 minutes. Discard whey in bowl.
- If not using right away, transfer ricotta to a clean bowl, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Reduced Fat Ricotta:.
- Substitute 4 cups reduced fat milk(2%) for 4 cups of the whole milk, and follow recipe as above.
- Makes about 2 cups.
This is amazing, and way better than anything u can buy in the shops. It is so creamy. I wish it had of made more. I made the full cream version, just to be sure that I keep my womanly figure lol
Who would have thought this could be so easy and quick. I'll never buy ricotta again. I used half whole milk and half skim. I didn't have any cheese cloth so I strained in a mesh sieve. It worked beautifully.
What a wonderful recipe. It comes out so creamy and I love how easy it is to make. I used lime juice. Thanks Sharon!