Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love biscuits and gravy in the morning, but these biscuits are so much healthier than the typical bisquick! Of course these biscuits can be made with a variety of things, but we've always made them with our Vegan Breakfast Biscuit Gravy or with some yummy jam in the morning. Originally from Patricia LaVanture's cooking program.
- 1 cup water, warm
- 1 tablespoon honey or 1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups golden white flour or 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix the water, honey or sugar, yeast and 3/4 cup each of the whole wheat and Golden White flours.
- together. Let stand until light, about 15 minutes.
- Add the other 3/4 cup of each type of flour, along with the remaining ingredients and knead lightly.
- Roll or pat out on a lightly oiled counter top to 3/4-inch thickness. Dust top of dough with flour. Cut with biscuit cutter or glass dipped in flour.
- Place cut biscuits on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Let rise on pan 15 - 20 minutes,then bake at 350°F until light brown, about 15 minutes.
Worked well as a biscuit topping for Biscuit Topped Chicken Casserole (#38838).
I'm sure it's me, because I'm a lousy baker... but mine barely rose at all & are very dry. I'll be trying them again because they are certainly healthier & they taste ok, but so far it seems that I must have done something wrong. Also, they're more like bread (due to the yeast, I'd guess) than biscuits.
I generally would make my biscuits with butter and milk but for various reasons I needed a vegan version. Considering the ingredients I would give these biscuits 5 stars. This recipe is more than perfect if you need vegan whole wheat biscuits and are not a fan of soy milk. Compared to butter and milk biscuits I would probably rate them 4.75 stars. They taste almost as good, but who doesn't love butter. An excellent biscuit all around. I like forward to trying this recipe in the future substituting butter for the oil.