Recipe by Mark O.
This recipe is an excellent subsitute for store bought brands of graham crackers. Also useful to those who don't have a local source for a boxed graham cracker.
Top Review by The Scone
Pretty good recipe to try, especially when you run out of eggs and want to make some kind of cookie. A few suggestions to dress up the graham crackers a little: 1) Prick the tops with a fork before baking. 2) Spread honey on the tops before baking; or wet the tops with a little water, and then sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar before baking.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and brown sugar.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, stir into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Cover and chill dough until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 0.125 inch thickness.
- Cut into rectangles.
- Place 1/2 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crisp.
- Edges will be golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheet to cool on wire racks.