Recipe by Lainey6605
This is a recipe from Paula Deen's magazine. Plan ahead, you will need to refrigerate the cheese sauce for 8 hours and the balls freeze for 2 hours. The chilling and freezing time is included in the prep time listed.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Very very yummy! I used cappalletti, which I thought might make it easier to shape balls in the end. I made this recipe in stages, I made the macaroni and cheese and refrigerated it, next day I formed the balls and froze them. And there they stayed for a couple of weeks until I was ready to use them, for a Mothers day picnic. Made on the Saturday afternoon, half of them didnt make it until Sunday! We agreed with a previous reviewer that these are especially nice with a dip, the children favoured mayo, but sweet chilli sauce and spicy mango sauce were also popular! I was glad that I made these, and would make them again for friends. Thanks, Lainey!
- 4 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 (12 ounce) package cheese spread, cubed
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- peanut oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish. In large saucepan, bring water and 1/2 t salt to a boil over high heat. Add pasta, and cook 6-8 minutes, or until tender; drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine hot cooked pasta, 1/2 cup milk, cheese spread, mozzarella cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; stir until cheeses are melted. Spoon into prepared baking dish; cover, and refrigerate 8 hours.
- Roll macaroni and cheese into 1-inch balls; place on a baking sheet, and freeze 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and remaining milk.
- In a separate small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and cornmeal.
- Dip balls into egg mixture, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches; heat to 350 degrees over medium heat.
- Fry macaroni and cheese balls in batches, 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.