1/4 Photos of Crusty Macaroni and Cheese
1 hr 10 mins
From the NY Times; total comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 12 ounces American cheese or 12 ounces cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, boiled in salted water until just tender, drained, and rinsed under cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Use one tablespoon butter to thickly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- 3Combine grated cheeses and set aside two heaping cups for topping.
- 4In a large bowl, toss together the cooked pasta, cheeses, cayenne (if using) and salt to taste. Place mixture in prepared pan and evenly pour milk over surface.
- 5Sprinkle reserved cheese on top; dot with remaining butter.
- 6Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- 7Raise heat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until crusty on top and bottom.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crusty Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.0
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 85.5 mg
- Sodium 719.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 27.1 g