Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Got this recipe from my SIL's cookbook, "Homemade in Half the Time" by Shea Waggoner. She made it first, but without the mushrooms because she hates them, and using chicken breasts & cooking wine, which made it sooo salty, but it was still good. So I made it, with mushrooms (baby bella, cuz cremini weren't available), skinless, boneless thighs and using Pinot Noir for the red wine. I was out of bacon, so made it without, and I used fresh minced garlic in place of the jarred. Sooooo good (and easy)!!! DH ate two big helpings and nearly licked the crock pot clean. ;)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (I used Kosher)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces frozen pearl onions (2 cups)
- 8 ounces small cremini mushrooms (2 cups)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon preminced prepared garlic in oil
- Coat the inside of a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker pot with cooking spray.
- Combine the wine, tomato paste, flour, herbes, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken, onions, mushrooms, bacon, and garlic. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Cover and cook the chicken on LOW heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Note: Can be cooked on the HIGH setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
I made this dish using boneless, skinless chicken breasts - I couldn't find pearl onions at my local grocery so I used about 1 cup of chopped yellow onion that I sauted in a little olive oil. After that I added the sauce ingredients. I cut the salt back to 1 tsp and I also cut the pepper back to 1 tsp. The pepper still overpowered the dish. I would definitely take the pepper down to 1/2 tsp next time. I also omitted the bacon. I served it with whole wheat egg noodles and roasted veggies. It's defintely a keeper - DH liked it too.