Recipe by rstu
Got this recipe from my SIL's cookbook, "Homemade in Half the Time" by Shea Waggoner. She made it first, but without the mushrooms because she hates them, and using chicken breasts & cooking wine, which made it sooo salty, but it was still good. So I made it, with mushrooms (baby bella, cuz cremini weren't available), skinless, boneless thighs and using Pinot Noir for the red wine. I was out of bacon, so made it without, and I used fresh minced garlic in place of the jarred. Sooooo good (and easy)!!! DH ate two big helpings and nearly licked the crock pot clean. ;)
Top Review by CuteOne
We love this - I always do it on high instead of low - the chicken thighs shredded when I did it on low, but they stay together better on high and are super tender. I made this for celebrations, and it impresses for not much effort. Lots of flavor - I also use the roasted garlic tomato paste instead of regular to add a bit more garlic flavor.
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (I used Kosher)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces frozen pearl onions (2 cups)
- 8 ounces small cremini mushrooms (2 cups)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon preminced prepared garlic in oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat the inside of a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker pot with cooking spray.
- Combine the wine, tomato paste, flour, herbes, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken, onions, mushrooms, bacon, and garlic. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Cover and cook the chicken on LOW heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Note: Can be cooked on the HIGH setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.