Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I invented this recipe a long time ago and make it when I have leftover chicken. It's quick and made with simple ingredients. Feel free to make substitutions and experiment with it. Fresh or frozen broccoli. Cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom. Any type of cooked chicken will do, but I prefer breast. If the leftover chicken has been marinated or seasoned, it will be a bonus. Any type of small pasta. Cheeses are flexible as well. I often use a combination of whatever I have on hand. Just be sure its sliced or shredded so that it melts quickly.It's a great all in one meal to keep on the stove on nights when family members are coming and going at different times.
- 3⁄4 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1. Cook pasta al dente and drain.
- 2. Cook or steam broccoli until tender
- 3. In a large pot combine cream of chicken soup and milk on medium high heat.
- 4. When heated, add pasta, chicken, cheese, curry powder and pepper. Mix ingredients thorougly.
- 5. In about 3-5 minutes when cheese is completely melted, stir in the broccoli.
- 6. Give the broccoli a minute or two to heat up.
- 7. Enjoy.
Has that casserole kind of taste, but really, it was quite good! I increased the recipe by a third so I could cook a pound of pasta. It seemed kind of dry so I added 1/2 cup of milk. I used pre-shredded cheese from Trader Joe (165 grams). That cheese has no flavor! Next time I will try shredding my own cheese, maybe a sharp cheddar. Can't bring myself to try American Cheese. (Don't get me wrong, I do like American cheese, like on grilled cheese sandwiches, or burgers.)
Good, easy recipe. I personalized it as directed, using grated low-fat cheddar, mixing some in, and then putting some over the top. I baked mine at 375 for 15-20 minutes, and it turned out very yummy! The curry powder added a nice flavor.