1/1 Photo of Craze-E Potato Salad Boats - Kid Friendly
Diana #2's Note:
Getting kids to eat healthy is easy when you make it fun. They won't care that it's good for them. How about a Regatta, with Salad Boats. Easy enough to assemble, the kids might want in on the action. Created for the Craze-E Salad Contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 new potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 French style green beans, fresh
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 6 jumbo pasta shells, cooked al-dente
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- 1/8 cup sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 carrot, cut into long thin sticks
- 3 leaves lettuce, wavy
- 1Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2" cubes. Add to boiling salted water and cook for 5 minutes. Potatoes should be cooked but still firm. Drain, rinse in cold water and allow to cool.
- 2Steam or boil beans for 3 minutes, or until just cooked but still firm. Rinse in cold water and drain.
- 3Mix together yogurt, chives plus the salt and pepper if using. Pour onto the potatoes and toss gently. You can also add the boiled egg scraps if you wish. Chill for 30 minute.
- 4Gently fill the pasta shells with the potato mixture, mounding slightly. Tap on the counter to flatten the bottom so that the 'boats' will sit firmly on a plate.
- 5Now to decorate:.
- 6Cut each egg slice in half to form a half moon. Place one piece at the back of the boat, on top of the potato mixture.
- 7Slice beans lengthwise into two or three strips then cut into 1-1/2" pieces. Use the tip of a sharp knife to bore three holes along each side . Insert the bean strip. These will form the oars. (think Viking Ship).
- 8Cut the red pepper into small squares and place them on their edges, along both sides of the shell.
- 9Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the potato mixture.
- 10Use a long carrot stick as the mast. Weave it through the edge of the lettuce leaf, which will become the sail. Insert into the bed of potato salad.
- 11Chill until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Craze-E Potato Salad Boats - Kid Friendly
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.0
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 37.9 mg
- Sodium 227.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
French style green beans
jumbo pasta shells