Recipe by CulinaryExplorer
I saw a version of this cake made by Rachel Ray on her 30 minute meals show and decided to try playing around with it at home. I loved how easy this was to put together and it doesn't look bad either! It sure does taste wonderful! I bet you could do all sorts of liqueur and ice cream combos in this or even add just syrups and fruits in it or nuts. Very versatile! Cook time includes freeze time!
Top Review by Maito
Yummy! I made this with low fat chocolate ice cream on one side and coffee on the other. They both went great with the Amaretto, of which I probably used about 1/4 cup. The cake never really froze up, even after a day in the freezer, but the flavor was still very good. This was also very easy to make, and the plastic wrap makes it simple to just lift right out.
- 4 scoops chocolate ice cream (slightly softened)
- 1 angel food cake (rectangular store bought)
- amaretto liqueur
- cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: I just wanted to mention that the angel food cake I bought was in the bakery section of my grocery store and came in a rectangular size about the size of a loaf pan. You may have to fiddle around with the cuts if you can't find it that way. I also used NO SUGAR ADDED triple chocolate ice cream.
- Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap leaving a good size overhang on both sides. This will allow you to pull it out later with ease, as well as to wrap it up.
- Cut your rectangular cake lengthwise into 4 even slices. Cut 1 of the slices again lengthwise in half. Cut a second slice in half the other direction. These are your building blocks for the cake.
- Lay one of the full slices on the bottom on the loaf pan. Place the 2 smaller pieces on the ends, and the 2 longer half slices on the sides. You should have a sort of cake shell now.
- Drizzle amaretto liqueur all over the cake pieces, holding your fingers over the bottle so it doesn't come out to fast. Soak it as little or as much as you'd like!
- Scoop 4 heaping scoops of ice cream into the center of the cake shell.
- Drizzle more amaretto liqueur onto the last slice of cake and place it on the top shutting the ice cream inches Then fold the plastic wrap over it and press to really close it all together.
- Place in freezer for at least an hour to let the ice cream freeze back up and serve in slices with cocoa powder sprinkled over each piece!