Recipe by teresas
This is out of my Hot & Spicy magazine cookbook...the book says that the combination may seem strange but remember that horseradish is a member of the mustard family...it's bite is agreeably balanced with maple syrup and chili power...I finally made this...it has a nice touch of sweetness and just a slight flavor of horseradish...we really enjoyed it! Hope you do too!
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- 1⁄2 cup horseradish root, peeled and finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (the real stuff)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels and cut slits in skin of breast and drumsticks.
- Stir together horseradish and maple syrup.
- Stuff horseradish mixture in slits and rub into meat so mixture is spread evenly under the skin.
- Brush chicken with oil.
- Combine chili powder and salt; rub over the chicken.
- Tie the legs together and twist the wing tips under the back.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, in a 375°F oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or till the drumsticks move freely and the juices run clear.