Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is very easy to put together and looks rather pretty. Serve it with some fresh bread.
Make and share this Chickpea, Bacon and Butter Bean Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 100 g fresh spinach, washed
- 125 g bacon, cut into bite size pieces
- 200 g chickpeas, drained
- 200 g butter beans, drained
- 100 g plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, crushed (or 3 leaves wild garlic, finely chopped)
- handful fresh parsley, chopped
- black pepper
- In a small bowl mix together the yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and pepper. Set aside.
- Divide the spinach between the two plates.
- Fry the bacon until it's almost done, then add the beans and yoghurt mixture. Keep stirring so it doesn't stick or burn and keep on the heat until everything is hot through.
- Spoon the mixture over the spinach leaves and stir.
This is absolute indulgence of the best kind! There are salads and then there's this one! We were won over with the first bite. The flavours are sensational - bacon, garlic, spinach, the beans, yogurt,...you get the picture! I didn't measure anything too much, mostly eyeballed it; used 5 strips bacon, the butterbeans came in a 280 gr tin and we used it all, used a can of chickpeas, and used almost (what looked like) a cup of yogurt. By the way, the butterbeans came in tomato sauce, which complements the other ingredients well. I drained the can but not very thoroughly, and I may not drain it at all next time. We can hardly wait to have this again! Such a good and satisfying feeling in my tummy! Thanks a million for posting, Kitzy.
WOW! This is REALLY GOOD! Very FLAVORFUL...garlicy and tangy. I did drain out all but a couple of tablespoons of the bacon grease before adding the other ingredients. I told myself that all of the healthy ingredients balanced out the bacon. I also doubled the recipe to use full cans of the beans. Freddy Cat says thanks for the interesting recipe! Made for the Please Review recipe tag game.