Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
It blew my mind how much this tasted like regular sour cream! Yes, it's vegan, pareve, non-dairy and raw... But it's creamy as can be, and you can use it in any recipe that calls for sour cream. My lactose intolerant friend who hadn't eaten sour cream in years was in heaven when I served this to her. It refrigerates well. Try it on black bean soup, burritos, nachos, or tamales. You can also use it to cool down spicy recipes, or put a dab of it on borscht (beet soup).
- 1 cup raw cashews (must not be roasted or salted)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small lemon, juice of
- Cover cashews with water and soak for a few hours, or overnight.
- Pour off all water, and place nuts in food processor.
- Add 1/4 cup cold water, salt, vinegar and lemon juice.
- Puree for 3-4 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy in consistency.
- Use in any recipe that calls for sour cream.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week.
Allow me to begin by giving my thanks for an idea from which to start. I was at a complete loss for a vegan, soy free sour cream substitute until I discovered this one. However, I must agree that this recipe, if followed to the letter, does not taste like sour cream at all (more like cashews and lemon). My solution to the problem was as follows: I omitted the lemon all together and increased the apple cider vinegar to two tablespoons. Voila, perfect! For me personally (not the kids) adding a dash of dill and some garlic added a wonderful twist as well. :~)
Love it...make this all the time...like to sometime use rejuvelac and less vinegar...sometimes add mince garlic...love it ww/ me carrots or raw crackers...put it in my raw borscht this past Christmas and thought it was about time I review this gem...
Actually, I found this recipe on a blog. It's become a staple in our house. I do up the salt to 1/2 tsp. and I add 1/2 tsp. onion powder and a tablespoon of dried chives to get rid of that cashew taste. My kids can't get enough of it, and I feel great knowing that it's so healthy!