1/8 Photos of Caraway Rye
4 hrs 5 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
A simple,down to earth recipe that I love. I live in an area that loves their rye bread, and everyone enjoys this version!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Blend all ingredients together, knead for 7-10minutes, by hand or machine. Your dough should be smooth and a bit sticky,as that is the nature of rye bread dough.
- 2Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth or lightly oiled (I use cooking spray) cling film. Let rise until doubled, about an hour, maybe longer depending on the room temperature
- 3Gently deflate, and form as you like. Free form or in a bread pan. I bake it free form, on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- 4Preheat the oven to 375, and let the bread rise until it is almost doubled.
- 5Slash with a sharp exacto , a lame or a serrated knife. Every method works, but I prefer an exacto.
- 6Spritz with water and place in the hot oven.
- 7Bake for 15 minutes, turn the pan for even browning and bake for 15 minutes more, or until the internal temperature is 190 or sounds hollow when tapped.
- 8* Or you can throw all the ingredients in a bread machine set on the dough cycle, let rise in the machine and then continue with above instructions.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caraway Rye
Serving Size: 1 (661 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1632.7
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3513.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 291.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.3 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 43.2 g