Blue Hake is from New Zealand. I cut the loins in chunks and batter. Pan fried is quick, easy and does not require a lot of oil. I love to use paprika in my batter. Everything is a golden brown to deep brown and very light tasting.
- I use 3 long thick pieces of fish. I cut it in 3 inch chunks. Dry the chunks of fish with paper towels. Set Aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs, water, salt and paprika.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add egg mixture and beat in, if too thick, add milk 1 tablspoon at a time. The batter should be thick to hold on to the fish, not runny.
- Preheat frying pan to medium high heat with 1/4 cup vegetable oil.
- Use tongs to dip the fish chunks into batter. Use a spoon to place batter on the top of the chunk after it is in the pan.
- After bottom is golden brown, turn once, press down on top slightly with spatula to insure heat distribution.
- Fry fish in two separate batches using the balance of vegetable oil for the second batch.
- Keep warm in the oven until all fish is cooked.
- The batter is very light tasting, not soaked with oil.
- Use a dipping sauce of your choice.
- If you use this batter on thin fillets, use a slotted spoon to dip the fish into batter.