Recipe by Celeste :)
The first surprise here: there's not a grain of sugar in these cupcakes. The second surprise: your kids will love them anyway. TIP: I just make mashed potatoes using the instant mashed potato flakes. It is smooth, and the food coloring mixes well with it.
Top Review by KTgirl
I made these last year for April Fools day, using my usual meatloaf recipe as the base. I told the kids we were having a backwards meal for April Fools day - dessert first. They believed it until they dug in - and thought it was a hoot! Gobbled them up anyway!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375*. Line 12 muffin tin cups with foil bake cups.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the meat loaf ingredients until well combined. Divide the mixture evenly among the lined cups (the liners should be about three quarters full).
- Place the filled muffin tins on cookie sheets and bake the 'cupcakes' for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Divide the mashed potatoes among three small bowls and stir a few drops of food coloring into each batch to create blue, yellow, and pink 'frostings.' Spread a generous dollop on each 'cupcake.'.