- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb boneless round steak or 1 lb charcoal chuck steak, cut into thin 3-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1⁄3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- hot cooked rice
- In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water and garlic powder until smooth.
- Add beef and toss.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium high heat, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until beef reaches desired doneness; remove and keep warm.
- Stir-fry broccoli and onion in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes.
- Return beef to pan.
- Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and remaining cornstarch and water until smooth; add to the pan.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Ready In 25 mins
Most Helpful Review
"This recipe easily rivals the beef & broccoli found at ANY local Chinese restaurant. So delicious, but I made a few minor changes: I used 2 minced garlic cloves in addition to garlic powder, minced fresh ginger rather than ground, and I added sesame oil. I also let the beef (I used thin sirloin steaks) marinate for about 30 mins. before cooking. This is so delicious - can't wait to try it next w/ chicken and/or shrimp."
Ideas You'll Love
45 Outrageous Mash-Ups
Pizza is from Mars and waffles are from Venus, but when they get together, fireworks fly.