Vegetarian Slow Cooker Pho
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb portobello mushroom cap, gills removed, caps halved and sliced thin
- 3 stalks lemongrass, trimmed to bottom 6 inches and bruised with back of knife
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce, plus extra for seasoning
- 4 star anise pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 6 ounces wide rice noodles, 1/4 inch wide, no substitute
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce, plus extra for seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup fresh Thai basil
- lime wedge
- Microwave onion, garlic, porcini mushrooms, and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker. Stir in water, broth, portobello mushrooms, lemon grass, soy sauce, star anise, and cloves. Cover and cook until portobello mushrooms are tender, 4 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 5 hours on high. Note: Checking after the minimum cook time is recommended.
- Stir noodles into soup, cover and cook on high until tender, 10 to 20 minutes. Discard lemon grass, star anise and cloves. Stir in Sriracha and season with salt, pepper, extra soy sauce and extra Sriracha to taste. Top individual portions with bean sprouts and basil and serve with lime wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!