Seared Scallops or Shrimp With Orzo Risotto
photo by Rosinda
- Ready In:
- 1 2⁄3 cups orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushroom, diced
- 1⁄3 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, diced
- 1⁄3 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb large scallops (from Nova Scotia if you can) or 3/4 lb large shrimp
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cook orzo according to package directions and set aside.
- In large heavy pot, heat oil and saute mushrooms, onion, sun-dried tomatoes and red pepper until soft.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Stir in orzo, parmesan and parsley. Add cream and simmer gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is creamy but not runny, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in very hot pan. Season scallops or shrimp with salt and pepper. For scallops: sear until brown on outside but opaque in the middle. For shrimp: sear until just pink and cooked through.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over risotto and top with scallops or shrimp.
Questions & Replies
Mmmmm, I love orzo and risotto, so this was a sure-fire thing! I did change the veggies a little, simply because DD would not have liked the red pepper, so I subbed peas, and since I don't care for scallops, I very thinly sliced a little chorizo into this.... but otherwise, made as directed, and this was delicious. Thank you, Nif, we loved this, and it certainly is simple enough to enjoy any night of the week. :)