Scrumptous & Simple Ham & Bean Soup (NO GAS)
photo by CarrolJ
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 -3 pork legs (pork shanks- cured) or 2 -3 bone-in chunk ham
- 3 - 3 1⁄2 cups dried beans (brown pinto & white northern mixed)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 bay leaf (remove after cooking)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda (** 2nd key ingredient for removing gas)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (for sweeter taste use more, increase gently)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup bacon bits (real bacon)
- After soaking beans overnite in water & 1/4 cup vinegar, drain & place in cooker, add chicken broth & water to cover beans apoproximately 1 to 2 inches, then simply add all the ingredients, no order, just dump! No salt should be added, the uncooked beans don't like it, the ham will usually supply all the salt you need, if not, use a little sea salt or kosher after cooking. If using a pressure cooker (highly recommended) place on hot burner, cook at 15 lbs. pressure for approximately 40 minutes, can vary a few minutes on amount of ham in pot but not much. It's ready to eat! You'll be pleasantly surprised with the flavor, it's "simply delicious"! You will also be pleasantly surprised that there is "absolutely no gas"! If more juice is desired simply add some water, the juice is "fantastic"!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The title says it all and is extremely true. First of all the flavor is absolutely wonderful. I love Bean soup and usually prefer using only Great Northerns. I have never made a bean soup which was combined with Pinto beans. I've made Pinto bean soup alone and wasn't crazy about it, but wow, this combo of ingredients is perfect. I followed the recipe exactly except I cooked it in my Zojirushi Electric Cooker, which is not a slow cooker. Actually I didn't prepare this, my 11 year old DGD made the dish and I sat in my chair and supervised. I did not have to add any salt. The spices were perfect. I suffer with IBS and if it is true that I don't suffer from eating this then it will this be my 'go-to' bean soup recipe from now on. Deserves more than 5 stars! Made for PAC Spring 2013.