photo by Anonymous
- Ready In:
6 Scottish eggs
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, well-chilled
- 1 lb sausage meat
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Peel hard-cooked eggs.
- Make sure the eggs are well-chilled so that the sausage meat will cling to them more easily.
- Combine sausage, parsley, sage, and pepper in large bowl; mix well.
- Press meat mixture evenly around eggs, keeping the oval shape.
- Sprinkle eggs with flour, coating lightly all over.
- Dip into beaten egg; then roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Pour oil into deep-fryer, or large heavy saucepan, to fill 1/2 full.
- Heat to 350 on deep-fat frying thermometer.
- Cook 1 egg at a time, for about 4-5 minutes until meat is well-browned.
- Drain on paper towels; cool.
- Slice to serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I got a very similar recipe from a co-worker. This is great if you are on a high protein, low carb diet and is very easy to make. I made this with maple flavored sausage and omitted the spices. I first divided the meat into 6 portions, so there was enough to cover all the eggs. You can also dip them in crushed crackers or corn flakes for a crispier coating. Since I like to be lower fat, I baked these at 350 for 45 minutes instead of deep frying. To reheat, microwave for 30 seconds or less.
I used this recipe as an entree for a fund raiser dinner. Because of the quantity, it was easier to baked them for 45 minutes. We wrapped then in foil paper, refridgerated for two days. Heated them in an oven and served with a cheese sauce drizzled over them. It was easy to make up ahead, fairly reasonable and they were a big hit and we made good money.
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
(As many of you know Silent Cricket passed away on Feb. 29. Since she loved Recipezaar so much and so many on Recipezaar have shown their love for her, and have enjoyed her recipes, her personal information will remain here indefinitely just as she wrote it. Her lines at the end of this section sound somewhat prophetic as the last chapter of her earthly existence has been written.) Well, the time has come for me to change my users' name. After being, "OzCoMartha" because of having lived for three years in Australia and then moving to Colorado, I have decided to "turn over a new leaf." I chose this name because many moons ago I used to be able to "chirp" like a cricket and the "silent" refers to the present time when I'm taking a break...But, perhaps after a season, however long I decide that needs to be, I may be back and then I will fill in more details about myself...