Sautéed Green Apples and Leeks
Found this German recipe on one of my favorite vegetarian websites. Leeks & apples go quite well together so I'm looking forward to trying this. When i do get to it, I'm thinking of adding a bit of fresh sage. Posted for the Zaar World Tour
- Ready In:
- 2 large leeks, white parts only
- 2 teaspoons margarine (divided) or 2 teaspoons butter, preferably unsalted (divided)
- 2 large granny smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Split the leeks in half lengthwise and trim the bottoms, leaving a little of the root end intact so that they stay together. Wash well several times and dry. Cut lengthwise into thin strips, about 2 inches long.
- In a medium skillet (nonstick is best) over medium heat, melt teaspoon of margarine. Add the leeks and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining teaspoon of margarine and add the apple slices. Turn the heat to high and cook until the apples are lightly browned and softened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the leeks to the pan and toss together to combine.
- Serve immediately.