Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 links sweet turkey sausage or 3 links hot turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes or 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, breaking the sausage into small pieces, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes and marjoram.
- Meanwhile, cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Cut a thin slice off the bottoms so each half sits flat. Scoop out the pulp, leaving a 3/4 inch shell. Discard the pulp. Place the zucchini in a microwave-safe dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and microwave on high until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover.
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler to high.
- Transfer zucchini to a broiler safe pan or pans. Fill with the quinoa mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Broil on the upper rack until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to try new recipes, and this is a wonderful site to find new additions. I rarely make the same thing twice because it's so much fun to try something different. My life long dream is to travel the world and eat my way around it.