Sara Lee Crumb Cake - Copycat
An adopted recipe that is based on the copycat version of the original crumb cake. Very easy and quick to make, this didnt last long at our house.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup flour, additional
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Mix sifted flour, sugar and margarine until crumbly.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of mixture.
- To the remaining crumb mixture add remaining ingredients as given above.
- Beat well with mixer on low speed.
- Spread evenly in a greased 8" square pan.
- unrinkle reserved crumbs over top and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown and a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Dust warm cake with powdered sugar before cutting.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was easy to mix up and resulted in a nice homey flavor, but I had some trouble cooking the center of the cake through (it sunk a tad in middle the size of a half dollar). My cake had a denser crumb than I expected and I suspect I may have baked it a bit too long. Thanks for posting. I love copycat recipes! Roxygirl
We really enjoyed this coffeecake. I have never tried a Sara Lee coffeecake so I don't know if it tastes like one or not, but no matter, this one is great even without being a copycat. I did end up baking for close an hour as the middle was not quite done at 40 minutes otherwise I made as posted. Thanks for posting!!!