Rich Dark Chocolate Cake With Red Wine Chocolate Frosting
- Ready In:
For the cake
- 240 g flour
- 300 g sugar
- 85 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 eggs
- 240 ml cold water
- 240 ml milk
- 120 ml sunflower oil
For the frosting
- 150 g unsalted butter, softened
- 100 g icing sugar
- 35 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 200 g cream cheese
- 5 tablespoons red wine
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C Line two cake tins with parchment paper and grease.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and coffee granules (ie all the dry ingredients).
- Make a well in the middle and add all the liquid ingredients.
- Use a whisk to mix together until completely blended. Don't be alarmed at how runny it is - it's much thinner than a normal cake mix!
- Pour into the two prepared tins and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until cooked through - the longer you leave them, the drier they will be. I found 30 minutes to be fine for a light, moist cake, but it will depend on your oven. Use a skewer inserted into the middle to make sure the cake is cooked through. If it comes out clean, you should be fine.
- Turn the cooked cakes out onto a cooling rack and place to one side.
- While they cool, make the frosting: Put the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and mix well. Then, add the red wine a little at a time until it gets a little runnier. Give it a taste; you want to just be able to taste the wine without it being overpowering. Place in the fridge for a few minutes to let it stiffen up slightly.
- When the cake has cooled, spread the frosting on the top of one layer and place the other on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!