Peruvian Stuffed Potatoes Papa Rellena
this is a very traditional main course from peruvian cuisine and one of my favorite dishes, i copy paste this recipe from http://www.yanuq.com/english/recipe.asp?idreceta=254
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 lbs white potatoes
- 4 eggs (1 fresh and 3 hardboiled)
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 kg ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 seeded black olives, cut in 4
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, diced, peeled and seeded
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- Wash potatoes and place them in a medium size pan with salted water. Bring to a boil. Cook until soft. Remove from heat. Peel.
- Force potatoes through a strainer or a potato masher. Cool. Add 1 egg and knead dough until smooth and soft.
- Pour 2 or 3 tablespoons oil in a large size skillet. Cook onion and garlic until golden.
- Add ground beef. Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add parsley, cilantro, olives, hardboiled eggs and raisins. Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Flour hands and take a portion (about ½ cup) of potato mixture. Place it in the palm of your hand. Flatten it and place 1 tablespoon of filling (approximately) in the center.
- Fold it and close by pressing ends. It must have an oval shape.Flour croquettes and set them aside. Repeat this process with the rest of potato.
- Heat oil in a medium size pan and fry papa rellena until golden.
- Papa Rellena is served with white rice and onion creole sauce.
- 8 servings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I lived in Peru for a year and a half and loved eating papa rellena. This unfortunately didn't turn out anything like it (taste wise). I was leaving room for some differences in ingredients, but the whole recipe turned out really bland for me. I would definitely suggest adding some sort of spice or seasoning to the potatoes. They completely over took the meat mixture.Reply