Patricia Polacco's Thunder Cake
This is the Thunder Cake recipe from Patricia Polacco's "Thunder Cake" picture book. It is a wonderful chocolate cake with a hint of fruit flavor from the secret ingredient! It is perfect frosted with Recipe #169403 and topped with fresh sliced strawberries! (The strawberries and tomato match wonderfully and I promise that no one will know it is tomato, they will only ask what you did to make it so wonderful!)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup tomato puree
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 8 1/2 inch cake pans.
- Cream together the shortening and sugar.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg yolks.
- Mix in the cold water and pureed tomatoes.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fold into egg/tomato mixture.
- Sift the cake flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dry mixture into wet.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cakes cool on wire racks before frosting with chocolate buttercream icing.
- Optional: Top with fresh strawberries.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made this for my mom’s second grade class after they read the book, and WOW!! They are awesome. I used tomato sauce instead of purée and then used 2.25 cups of all purpose flour. I made cupcakes so it would be easier to disperse and this recipe made about 26 good size cupcakes. The taste/ smell reminded me a lot of devils food cake donuts. Recommend this recipe (even though I was extremely skeptical of the tomatoes)!Replies 3