Mushroom Ragout (Serve With Mashed Potatoes)
photo by Sharon123
- Ready In:
- 40 g butter
- 2 large brown onions, chopped ocarsely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 400 g button mushrooms
- 400 g swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
- 400 g flat mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- Heat butter in large saucepan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add flour; cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring, until mushrooms are just tender.
- Add tomato paste and wine to mushroom mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half. Add the water and stock, return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Stir in thyme.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Do you like mushrooms? Do you like potatoes and gravy? Then just like she says, scroll NO further! This was comfort food at it's best. I could only get button and cremini mushrooms, and I bought 3 pounds. Near the end, I thickened it just a bit (personal preference, we like things thick), with 1 tablespoon superfine flour, (wondra), mixed with 1/4 cup water and added it off heat. Then simmered again for a few minutes, stirring. After we ate and MellowMel and I were being congratulated on such pure comfort for this sauce over mashed potatoes, I realized I forgot the thyme! Oh well, we loved it. We did salt at table, I will add a teaspoon or so of salt next time. 5 stars, and a keeper. Thanks Mel!