Mom's Orange Curry Chicken
I can remember deciding this was my favorite chicken when we lived in Florida -- when I was three or four! It's still my favorite. The curry gives the chicken a wonderful color and adds an exotic flavor to the sweet orange-honey-mustard sauce. I always serve with white rice. 6 WW pts per serving; rice is 3 pts for 3/4 cup.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 1⁄2 - 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut in serving pieces
- curry powder (to coat chicken)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced in half cartwheels
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse and remove skin from chicken pieces and dry thoroughly.
- Sprinkle chicken with curry powder to cover and a little salt on both sides and rub into meat.
- Arrange chicken in baking dish sprayed with cooking spray,"skin"-side down.
- Combine orange juice, honey and mustard in saucepan; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour over chicken and bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken and continue baking another 20-30 minutes or until richly browned.
- (If sauce is reducing too much, add 1/2 cup water to pan and stir.) Remove chicken to heated serving dish (and/or cover with foil).
- Add orange cartwheels to sauce and heat on stove 1 minute, scraping bottom of pan.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Until I made a few changes, this recipe was way too sweet for my family's taste. I added more salt, 2-3 tsps. Balsamic vinegar, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp. red curry powder, and the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Once I had the flavorings corrected, I thickened the sauce with a tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in a bit of water. I poured it over the chicken, and my family loved it. This one's a keeper!
Excellent chicken recipe! Sweet and tangy, tastes like a zippy honey mustard with fresh oranges. We loved this. I served it with some couscous. I had no idea how good this would smell while reducing and cooking - just like my favorite L'Occitane honey perfume! Thank you quantumgirl, I will make this again soon!!!!