- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
27 meatless balls
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup soda cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 large eggs
- 10 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄3 cup water or 1/3 cup milk
- Add first 6 ingredients to bowl and mix well.
- Add the cottage cheese, onion and eggs,.
- Let stand 10 minutes (crumbs and oatmeal will absorb moisture)
- shape into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Arrange on ungreased 9 x 9 inch casserole
- In a bowl, mix together the soup and water.
- Pour over balls.
- Cover and bake at 350F for 45 minutes
- Remove cover and bake another 30 minutes until balls are slightly browned.
Join The Conversation
Okay, first of all, let me say that we did enjoy these. However, I do not see how anyone could ever mistake these for meat! I agree with all other reviewers who have said that these taste like stuffing balls. Even the texture and appearance was that of stuffing. Not that that is a bad thing. These really are quite good, and my kids and I enjoyed them for lunch. But even my very young children could not be fooled into thinking that this was made with meat. Doesn't matter, because they still enjoyed them--because they tasted like stuffing, which they love. :)
What a great recipe! I made 24 mockballs in a 9x13 pan. I doubted the sauce was going to be enough, but somehow it seems to increase during baking! But if you want enough sauce to serve with pasta, you may want to double it, or make a second batch on the stove. Next time I'll spray the pan with non-stick spray, they did stick just a little bit. Like another reviewer said, I don't think these will fool anyone into thinking they are meat. But they just might like them better!!