Macaroni and Fontina Cheese
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 small orange bell peppers, trimmed and cut into very thin strips
- 2 small zucchini, cut crosswise into slices and then into thin strips
- 2 small crookneck yellow squash, cut crosswise and then into thin strips
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces penne
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated italian Fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non stick skillet over moderate heat and stir in the onion.
- Add the garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Raise the heat slightly and add the bell peppers.
- Cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and yellow squash and cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water for 4 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over moderate heat until it becomes a medium nutty brown.
- Stir in the flour, rosemary, sage and bay leaf.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk and cook stirring 4-5 minutes or until the sauce is very thick.
- Strain the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the pasta to the same large pot and stir in the sauce.
- Add the vegetables and 1 cup of the grated fontina cheese and blend completely.
- Place the mixture in a deep glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining fontina cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the pasta is brown and crusty on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!