Grapefruit Meringue Nests With Mixed Berries
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit peel, Ruby Red freshly grated
- 4 ounces blueberries
- 4 ounces raspberries
- 2 lbs strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup grapefruit juice, fresh, ruby red
PREPARE MERINGUE NESTS:
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In large bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks from.
- Sprinkle in sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until sugar dissovles and meringue stands in stiff, glossy peaks when beaters are lifted.
- With large rubber spatula, gently fold grapefruit peel into meringue until well combined.
- Divide mixture into 8 even mounds (heaping 1/4 cup measuring cup) on prepared sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Pressing back of spoon into center of each meringue, form mounds into 3 inch round nests.
- Bake 2 hours or until firm.
- Turn off oven; leave meringues in oven 1 hour or overnight to dry.
- When dry, carefully remove from parchment.
- Meringues can be stored in tightly sealed container at room temp up to 2 weeks.
- PREPARE BERRIES:.
- In large bowl, combine blueberries, raspberries, and half of strawberries.
- In 12 inch skillet, combine sugar and grapefruit juice.
- Heat to boiling on medium, stirring occasionally.
- Boil 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is clear pink.
- Add the first half of strawberries and cook 1-3 minutes or until berries release their juices and have softened slightly.
- Pour mixture over un-cooked berries in large bowl.
- Stir gently until well combined.
- Place meringue nexts on serving plates.
- Divid berries among nests and drizzle grapefruit syrup all around.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"