photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 cups finely ground gingersnaps
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Combine all crust ingredients in medium bowl.
- Press into bottom and halfway up sides of 9-inch springform pan.
- Wrap outside of pan with piece of heavy-duty foil.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Process cream cheese, brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar in food processor 30 seconds or until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs one at time, processing after each addition.
- Add all remaining filling ingredients; pulse to combine.
- Pour into crust
- Place pan in large baking or broiler pan.
- Add enough hot water to baking pan to come halfway up sides of springform pan.
- Bake 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes or until edges are puffed and top is dry to the touch.
- Center should move slightly when pan is tapped but should not ripple as if liquid.
- Remove cake from water bath; remove foil.
- Cool on wire rack 1 hour.
- Refrigerate, uncovered, overnight.
- Beat whipping cream and powdered sugar in large bowl at medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Beat in rum until firm but not stiff peaks form.
- Spread over top of cake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a treat, no doubt about that. It turned out ever so smooth, creamy and moist that it was almost like eating a cloud. The single thing that my rating at 4 was that I found the spicing to be milder than I, personally would have preferred. That said the amount of spice added to anything is a very personal thing. I made this in a 2 serving amount as a trial for the upcoming holidays and It will absolutely be back. For the holidays I'll most certainly use the rum whipped cream that I skipped this time for calories sake. That will really be the gilding on the lilly. :D
this cake was delicious and loved by people i know who have been baking for far longer. I'm making this again (upon request) this christmas.<br/><br/>of note: i had problems with the water bath leaking into the cake, making it spongy. BUT after an overnight in the fridge it went from good cheesecake to perfect. Good things come to those who wait. :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span><strong>I am a stay at home mom to two wonderful boys; Joshua (8years), Kaiden (5 years), and baby GIRL, Madalynn (19 months)! I also have two fur babies (cats); Kobee, AJ; we had to put our youngest cat Sly down Jan 2014. :(. I am also married to my best friend, Jeff and have been since April 2005. I love cooking, hate cleaning and will do whatever I can to get out of it! I love grilling and baking. I do most of the grilling at my house, and bake for almost a week straight at Christmas time! I can make or will attempt just about anything, though I rarely make brownies, my husband's are the best! Homemade breads are not my friend, so I am always working on bread baking.</strong></span></p> <p><span><strong>As for recipe ideas (besides zaar) Cooking Light Cookbooks are my favorites. I love to make new meals and try new things; it is hard though because my husband is picky when it comes to veggies (and hates seafood); If it were up to him we would have baked-bread crumb chicken and white rice at least one meal a day! Over the past couple years with zaar, I have found tons of new recipes my family normally wouldn’t eat but have been happily surprised with new favorites.</strong></span></p> <p><span><strong>I love to join in all of the tag games; I haven't been as present as I would like, but as soon as my Jeff is back from working in Ohio I will be back in full tagging mode! </strong></span></p> <p><span><strong>Cooking is my hobby and passion, I always like to host the family get togethers and volunteer for the potluck dishes. Most of all though are my kids; being home all day with them is fun and challenging, but I wouldn’t trade it for any salary!!</strong></span></p>