Crock Pot Coq Au Vin
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (I used Kosher)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 - 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces frozen pearl onions (2 cups)
- 8 ounces small cremini mushrooms (2 cups)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon preminced prepared garlic in oil
- Coat the inside of a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker pot with cooking spray.
- Combine the wine, tomato paste, flour, herbes, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the chicken, onions, mushrooms, bacon, and garlic. Stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Cover and cook the chicken on LOW heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Note: Can be cooked on the HIGH setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We love this - I always do it on high instead of low - the chicken thighs shredded when I did it on low, but they stay together better on high and are super tender. I made this for celebrations, and it impresses for not much effort. Lots of flavor - I also use the roasted garlic tomato paste instead of regular to add a bit more garlic flavor.
I made this dish using boneless, skinless chicken breasts - I couldn't find pearl onions at my local grocery so I used about 1 cup of chopped yellow onion that I sauted in a little olive oil. After that I added the sauce ingredients. I cut the salt back to 1 tsp and I also cut the pepper back to 1 tsp. The pepper still overpowered the dish. I would definitely take the pepper down to 1/2 tsp next time. I also omitted the bacon. I served it with whole wheat egg noodles and roasted veggies. It's defintely a keeper - DH liked it too.