Zurcher Eintopf (Swiss One-Pot Meal)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 750 g veal, in small chunks (1 1/2 lbs, and deboned pork neck is a great substitute)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, medium, cut into large chunks
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, coarse
- 1 small savoy cabbage, cut into wedges (or use cabbage of your choice)
- 6 potatoes, medium, peeled and halved
- 3 carrots, scraped, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- rosemary (or parsley, or any extra seasonings of your choice)
- Heat the butter in a large pot. When hot and turning colour, add the chunks of meat and fry, stirring. Add the onions and garlic and on lower heat let it steam for 5 minutes or so, on top of the meat.
- Add cumin, salt and pepper, and put half the cabbage wedges on top. (Do not stir the pot).
- Add the potatoes and carrots, add seasonings and herbs of your choice, then put the remaining savoy or other cabbage wedges on top.
- Season again, add the wine and water, cover the pot, and simmer gently for about 60 - 75 minutes, until you have a nice stew and tender meat. Can be served in heated soup plates, with chunks of fresh bread and glasses of red wine.
- (You should not need more liquid, but do check, and add some more wine if necessary).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a widow, retired, and I love cooking. I live on the coast in South Africa and I love seafood. You're welcome to my recipes (all kinds, definitely not just seafood!) Just remember that no recipe is ever cast in stone -- adjust to your taste! The photo was taken at a rustic seaside restaurant on our West Coast, approx 1 year ago (2016).