photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
8 1/2 pints
- 3 lbs zucchini, seeds removed, sliced into spears
- 10 -12 fresh pepperoncini peppers (score but left whole)
- 2 serrano peppers (stem removed n sliced)
- 1 large red onion (peeled, halved and sliced)
- pickling salt
- 4 -8 garlic cloves, sliced very thin
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red peppercorns
- Ball pickle crisp, granules (just 1/8 teaspoon per 1 pint jars or a dash 1/16 teaspoon per 1/2 pint jars) (optional)
- In a large stainless steel bowl layer the first 4 ingredients sprinkle 1/2 cup salt on the veggies. Top with cold water and set aside for 2-3 hours.
- Drain into a colander and rinse very well under running cold water. Drain well.
- In a large stainless steel pot add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Gentle boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables,cover and let infuse for 1 hour off heat.
- Prep your jars I used 8 - 8 ounce jars. And prepare the water bath.
- Bring the vegetables back to a boil to heat through.
- Pack into jars.
- Top with a dash of the crisp granules.
- Remove air bubbles and ladle the hot liquid to leave 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims clean and top with lids and bands. Screw to finger tip tight.
- Place jars in boiling water bath with at least 1 inch covering the jars.
- Bring back to a boil, cover and boil for 15 minutes.
- Turn of flame remove lid and rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove jars without tipping and place in a draft free place till cool.
- Remove bands after 12 hours, label and store in a cool dark place.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!