Zucchini & Rice Casserole
photo by Andi Longmeadow Farm
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 lbs zucchini, thickly shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced (based on your personal tastes)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F and grease or spray a 9x13" glass baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion and saute until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and shredded zucchini and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until zucchini begings to wilt.
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring until the flour is absorbed.
- Stir in the milk, rice, 1/2 parmesan cheese, spices, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and pour into prepared casserole dish then sprinkle the top with the 1/4 cup leftover parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes or until golden and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10-20 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I halved the recipe, and I think I should have cut the temperature down on the oven for cooking as well. Mine was really brown and burnt around the edges in under 15 minutes, but the rice was still crispy. I expected to love this...I love zucchini, onions, garlic, cheese...but for some reason, this just tasted off to me. Maybe it was because I halved the recipe. Sorry for the less than positive review....especially when it may be because I halved the recipe. Made for Zaar 123 Hit Wonders Tag.
Well we have squash and this was a perfect recipe to use the extra squash in. How could you go wrong with this? I followed this exactly except for two changes. I had a yellow squash and I used a "yellow long grain rice" instead of just long grain because that's what I had. Turned out beautifully, even if I halved the recipe. I added fresh cilantro to the topping. Just perfect, and will use a lot for this summer & winter season. The mozzarella cheese to the top was just delicious! Thanks, HokiesLady! Made for *SSC Pet Parade* July 2008.