Zucchini Tomato Pasta
photo by Nikki Dinki Cooking
- Ready In:
2 large bowls of
- Roast peppers by charing peppers under the broiler and putting them into a bowl covered with saran wrap until cool and then remove skins.
- Roast eggplant at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Make Zucchini "pasta" by using a vegetable peeler and making thin strips of zucchini. Cut strips length wise to make them resemble fettuccine. Or use a julienne peeler and make spaghetti style strips. Put Zucchini is a colander and salt heavily. After 20 minutes rinse zucchini and squeeze out any extra water.
- Start sauce with a spray of cooking spray and add onion and garlic (and hot pepper if desired) cook until soft.
- Add tomato sauce and cook 10-15min.
- Add zucchini "pasta", fresh tomatoes and let simmer together for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, lemon zest and juice.
- Top with cheese and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm not going to rate this one because I wasn't able to pull it off. I just couldn't get the zuchinni to peel nicely into fettuchini like strips. I didn't see the video until now, but I think the key is to lay the zuchinni down on the counter while peeling - I had mine standing up and needless to say it didn't work. I tried to make the sauce, and it says one large lemon and zest - I threw in about half the lemon and zest and it was really really lemony so I had to dilute it with several cans of tomato. So, I may try this one again sometime after watching the video, but I just thought I'd post this so other people can avoid the same tripups I had!
So yummy! I love to eat healthy, and this recipe allowed me to do that without sacrificing any flavor or portion size. There is a lot of prep, so my only suggestion would be to start some of the prep earlier in the day. It was the first time I used a Julienne peeler, and am glad I bought one, it's a great tool to have in the kitchen, it gives veggies a new spin.