Zucchini Cakes "crab Cakes" for the Poor Man's Budget
I was looking for another way to use the surplus of zucchini from our garden, when I came across this recipe. I was surprised at how much they actually taste like crab cakes. Even my husband, who doesn't like zucchini, raved about this dish!
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups zucchini (peeled and grated)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (seasoned or plain)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onions or 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- canola oil or olive oil, for frying
- cayenne pepper (optional, for a little extra spice)
- Spread grated zucchini on a kitchen towel and roll up. Twist towel to wring out as much liquid as possible. If you fail to do this, your cakes will be too wet.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini and butter. Stir in bread crumbs, onion, Old Bay, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Coat your hands in oil, and shape mixture into patties. Coat each patty in flour. In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Fry patties until golden brown on both sides. (About 3-5 min per side).