Zucchini and Feta Appetizer
- Ready In:
- 4 zucchini
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt (coarse)
- fresh ground pepper
- Boil a large pot of salted water (not the dead sea, but put in a couple of TBSP of salt).
- Cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to scrape out the seeds, to form a little canoe, if you will. Blanche the halves in the boiling water for a minute, remove and let drain on a paper towel for a few minutes.
- Pre-heat your broiler/grill on high.
- Fill each "canoe" with feta cheese (you don't have to use the whole cup up, but put a good amount in each) and broil for a couple of minutes. When the cheese has turned a little brown in spots, remove from the broiler.
- Drizzle each with a TBSP of olive oil, a sprinkle of pepper and salt if you like, and serve with crusty bread (I like ciabatta, rubbed with garlic and a little olive oil.).
Join The Conversation
Delicious! I hated to waste the inner part of the zucchini (I only had 3 small ones to start) so I added a half tsp each minced garlic and basil pesto, a little salt/pepper and dash of olive oil, then microwaved in a small bowl until soft but not mushy. I loaded the zucchini with this mixture first then topped with feta and a little more olive oil before broiling. My husband loved it as a side with our baked chicken.
I doubled the recipe and we were still fighting over who got the last one. So simple to make. The flavors blend together beautifully. I did not blanche the zucchini first, and since my broiler was out of commission I just put them in the oven at 450 degrees. Worked great! Next time I will need to triple the recipe.