Ziti With Sharp Cheddar and Mushrooms
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 leeks, white parts only, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Warm the oil in a saucepan (you can use butter, but i am trying to keep things lighter).
- Add the celery, mushrooms, leeks, and marjoram and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then quickly whisk in the milk.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season the sauce with 1 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste, and the mustard.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly butter or oil a 3 quart baking dish.
- Cook the ziti in plenty of boiling salted water until barely done.
- Drain it in a colander, then rinse under cold water.
- Combine the pasta with the sauce and cheese, then pour it into the baking dish and cover with the bread crumbs.
- Bake until bubbly and brown on top, approximately 25-30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am tri-vocational. I am an adjunct professor of women and gender studies, spiritual partner, and freelance writer/editor. I love reading, writing, cooking, baking, drumming, time with friends, my wife, and our two cats. I am passionate about life. I am not sure i have any pet peeves, however, I like to surround myself with loving spirits and positive energy. What inspires me to cook is life. I am always willing to push myself out of my comfort zone and learn more about the world and ingredients through my cooking.</p>