Ziti With Portobello Mushrooms, Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb portabello mushroom, stems removed, caps halved then cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 lb ziti pasta
- 3 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1. In a large frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter with 2 tablespoons olive oil over moderate heat. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt and sugar, then cook, stirring frequently, until onions are well browned, about 20 minutes. Remove from pan.
- 2. In the same pan, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat. Add the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and brown, about 8 minutes. Add the reserved onions, parsley, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper.
- 3. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the ziti until just done, about 13 minutes. Reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta water and drain. Toss the ziti and 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water with the mushroom mixture, remaining tablespoon of oil, the goat cheese, and the parmesan. If pasta seems dry, add more of pasta water. Serve with additional Parmesan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was delicious, but I had to add quite a bit of extra olive oil and butter to make it a good sauce, as written it would have been way too dry. I also used herbed goat cheese, added oregano, crushed red pepper and garlic. I had forgotten my parmesan at my boyfriend's house so I used a shredded 3 cheese Italian blend instead and it was very good.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook!