Zharenaya Kartoshka Fried Potatoes Russian Style
photo by K9 Owned
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, approx. 5 medium
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dried mushroom, she uses chanterelles but any should do
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 3 -5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- green onions, parsley and or dill, to garnish. minced
- Peel the onion, cut it in half and thinly slice it.
- Pour the water over the dried mushrooms to rehydrate, let sit 5 minutes.
- Peel potatoes and julienne.
- Pour the mushroom mix through a fine coffee filter and sieve reserving the broth. Clean mushrooms under cold water to get rid of any grit.
- Add 1 tbs oil to a non stick skillet, add onion and cook over medium for 3 minutes.
- Add dry mushrooms and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until golden.
- Add minced garlic to skillet, then add potatoes and mushroom broth, cover with lid and cook 8 - 10 minutes until liquid is absorbed and potatoes are soft.
- Uncover potatoes and increase heat to medium high, cook another 5 minutes until they are golden, adding more oil if needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/527607/cookswithcattitude.jpg I am a middle aged foodie who has had the luxury of living all over the world except asia. Lived in or grew up in Nigeria, Kenya, Chicago, Russia,and haiti. born in New Zealand, brother born in Austria and many more. I have chronic medication resistant depression after 10 years on anti depressants that worked well but would stop working after a year or two, so now do my best at home living on disabilty. Not a bad thing, many have far worse health issues but i have been able to concentrate on food/cooking. My main passions are my cats. I live in the woods and somehow many starving strays or "dumps" have found the message babies who passed on left in the woods saying "suck lives at xxxx road. Most arrive sick and/or starving. Right now i have 2 that arrived with feline herpes and their attendant 2ndry bacterial infections but are doing beautifully. One old man who was going to be euthanized bc a lady who found him as a stray was moving and didnt want him...well he was a biter and rather grumpy who was in ICU for 3 days with a deadly gut infection which was fixed but he left with a diagnosis of diabetes. 3 months on insulin and finally diet controlled and he caught the herpes virus, respiratory symptom version and turned into a cuddler. Butterscotch must think "why didnt i figure out this cuddle stuff was great before i got sick!" Doing wonderfully even though he has bouts. he and the other kids are my babies. Sadly Butterscotch died of Lymphatic cancer in winter of 2008. A year before Big Boy arrived in my life, starving and weak. Full of affection he jumped into my arms and stayed, turns out he has FIV (cat hiv) so he needs to be watched closely. I love him dearly <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Stockingswapcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/cookbookswap.jpg"> <img src="http://www.caymandesigns.com/foodothers/fallswap.jpg">